ANNUAL POLICY CONFERENCES
ANNUAL POLICY CONFERENCES
Each year, the European Coalition for Israel organizes an annual policy conference in the European Parliament where we engage with EU policy makers and diplomats. Over the years, we have covered many issues, which relate to EU-Israeli relations and the situation for Jewish communities in Europe.
In 2005, ECI presented a critical review of EU funding to the Palestinian Authority. Later in the year, the European Commission decided to freeze its funding to the PA citing arguments made in our report.
In 2010, ECI presented the legal foundations of the modern State of Israel as it relates to the San Remo Resolution of 1920. This was the first time that members of European Parliament and EU-officials were made aware of the importance of the Paris Peace Conference, adjourned to San Remo in April 1920, which paved the way for the creation of the modern State of Israel in 1948.
In 2013, ECI presented the correlation between the Yom Kippur War, the oil crisis in 1973 and the shift in European Community policies towards Israel. This was also the start of an ongoing campaign to debate the EU policies towards the disputed territories in Judea, Samaria, the Golan Heights and East Jerusalem.
In 2015, “Jewish contributions to European culture and values” were addressed. Recognizing the important contribution of the Jewish community to Europe – over centuries and still today – is central to understanding our Western societies and its foundations.
In 2016, renewing Israeli-European partnership was discussed. ECI underlined the importance of deepening cooperation with Israel, both in the area of security and innovation as well as other strategic areas in society. Unlike the BDS movement which breeds anti-Semitism, Israel’s innovations promote peace and prosperity and benefit the citizens of Europe. Andrew Tucker speech ECI Annual Conference April 2016
New rise of anti-semitism in Europe
Annual conference topics
- European Union funding to Palestinian Authority (2005)
- Promoting the reform process in the Middle East – what role can the European Union play? (2006)
- “Faith and values in Europe – 70 years after Kristallnacht” (2008)
- The Legitimacy of Israel – from San Remo to Brussels (2010)
- Israel and the Arab spring : How can the EU promote peace and democracy in the Middle East? (2011)
- EU-Israel Partnership after the Arab Spring (2012)
- EU-Israeli relations – 40 years after the Yom Kippur War. (2013)
- New rise of anti-semitism in Europe. (2014)
- Jewish contributions to European culture and values – past, present and future.” (2015)
- Renewing Israeli-European partnership (2016)