LAWFARE - ANDREW TUCKER
(Former Legal Counsel to the European Coalition for Israel)
Education and training
Andrew Tucker BA LLB (Melbourne) BCL (Oxford) trained as a lawyer at the Universities of Melbourne and Oxford.
From 1987 to 2004 he practised as legal attorney and consultant in the fields of European Law, Public International Law and International Commercial Arbitration.
Andrew has extensive experience in the field of the interface between (international) law and public policy. Highlights:
- Led a consortium of the University of Leiden and several law firms to advise Central European governments on the implementation of the Energy Charter Treaty (1993-1997)
- Senior Fellow at the Centre for Energy and Resources Law at the University of Melbourne (1998–2003) Led a multi-disciplinary team to advise the APEC Energy Working Group in relation to energy sector reform in the Asia Pacific region (1998-2001)
- Established the inter-disciplinary LLM course “Public Infrastructure Development” at the University of Melbourne (1999–2004)
- Principal legal adviser to the gas, electricity and transport divisions of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) (1998-2001)
- Co-leader of legal team advising on the first privatization of energy companies in The Netherlands (2001-2004) Senior advisor to several multinationals on European and public law aspects of major gas, LNG and electricity infrastructure projects in Europe – including negotiations with governments and regulatory institutions (1995 -2004)
- Led the establishment of Christians for Israel national and regional affiliates in over 40 nations (2004-2015)
Between 2010 and 2019 Andrew served as Legal Counsel to the European Coalition for Israel.
In this role, he advised and advocated the position and interests of the State of Israel and the Jewish people under international law within the European Union and United Nations. This included writing position papers, and meetings with politicians, diplomats and foreign affairs advisers in various nations.
Andrew is committed to fighting the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement (BDS), and defending the fundamental rights of Israel and the Jewish people to live in peace and security. Andrew believes that the use of “lawfare” to attack the legitimacy of Israel is counter-productive, and undermines the fundamental Judeo-Christian values on which modern liberal democracies are built.
Andrew is currently leading the establishment of an international centre for the study of legal and policy aspects of international foreign policy towards Israel.
Andrew also acts as a consultant to international organizations and companies.